Last Updated: 18/12/2012
These Terms and Conditions of Entry ("Entry Terms") are designed by Public Transport Victoria ABN 37 509 050 593 ("PTV") to enable the 2013 Great Transport Race ("Race") to run smoothly and safely. Both the teachers who enter a team ("Teachers") and participants who register to participate ("Participants") in the Race accept and agree to be bound by these Entry Terms:
1. Teachers may enter a team in one of the heats that form part of the Race by completing the registration form on the Great Transport Race website at greattransportrace.com.au ("Website").
2. Public Transport Victoria will confirm registration of each team by sending the Teacher an email confirming entry in a heat ("Allocated Heat"), team entry form and individual consent forms (where required by Entry Term 5).
3. The Teacher will be required to complete the entry form and procure that each Participant in the Teacher's team has completed the individual consent forms where required by Entry Term 5.
4. A school may not enter more than two teams.
5. If the Participant is under the age of 18, the Participant must have a parent or legal guardian sign the individual consent form consenting to their participation in the Race and accepting the Entry Terms, including Entry Term 17.
6. If the Participant is aged 15 years or younger on the day of the Race, the Participant must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
7. Public Transport Victoria may, in its absolute discretion and without giving reasons for its decision, accept or refuse an application for registration.
8. Upon registering, teachers and participants agree that their school’s name may be used in traditional or social media as promotion prior, during or after the event.
9. If a Participant wishes to cancel his or her participation in the Race, the Participant must ensure that his or her Teacher notifies the Race personnel at Public Transport Victoria five working days before the Allocated Heat by calling 9753 2562 or emailing email@example.com.
10. If a Teacher wishes to cancel the Teacher's team's participation in the Race, the Teacher must notify the Race personnel at Public Transport Victoria five working days before the Allocated Heat by calling 9753 2562 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
11. A Teacher who fails to comply with clause 9 must pay $100 to Public Transport Victoria.
12. Communications to Participants will principally be made via email. The Teacher and Participants must provide Public Transport Victoria with a valid email address. If the Teacher or a Participant does not have access to an email address, the Teacher and the Participant must make every effort to read the email newsletter which will be posted on the Website.
13. It is the Participants' and the Teachers’ responsibility to read all information that is made available on the Website, in email newsletters and all other literature concerning the Race.
Closing dates for entries
14. Entries for the Race close 5pm on 23 March 2013 (AEST).
Acknowledgment, waiver, indemnity and release
15. The Participant acknowledges and agrees that the recreational activities engaged in during the Race are activities that will be undertaken for the purposes of recreation, education, enjoyment and/or leisure and involve a degree of physical risk and that the Participant participates in the Race at the Participant's own risk.
16. In consideration of Public Transport Victoria permitting the Participant to enter and participate in the Race, the Participant and the Participant's parents and legal guardian hereby releases and indemnifies Public Transport Victoria and any of its respective representatives, to the maximum extend permitted by law, from and against all and any claims, suits, demands, liabilities, loss and damage (including indirect and consequential loss), costs, expenses and, interest, whether pursuant to common law or statute, that the Participant may suffer or incur directly or indirectly arising from or connected with the Participant's participation in the Race including, but not limited to, negligence, breach of duty, breach of care or other fault or responsibility of Public Transport Victoria and any of their respective representatives.
17. A parent or legal guardian of a Participant for the purposes of Entry Terms 5 or 6 consents to the Participant partaking in the Race and agrees to take full and sole responsibility for the Participant’s safety and participation.
Compliance with Laws
18. During the Race, the Participant must comply with all traffic and road laws, any other applicable laws, all directions issued by police and all instructions given by Public Transport Victoria or any employees or officials representing Public Transport Victoria at the Race. Failure to do so may result in the Participant being removed from the Race.
Preparation, training, health and safety
19. The Participant, and the Participant's parent or legal guardian, acknowledges that the Participant participates in the Race at the Participant's own risk and accepts that participating in the Race involves a degree of danger and could be potentially involve a real risk of serious injury or even death. It is the responsibility of the Participant to seek medical advice to ensure he or she is fit to participate. The Participant is responsible for ensuring that he or she has adequately and appropriately prepared both physically and mentally for the Race. If the Participant has any health issues or doubts prior to the Race, he or she should immediately seek appropriate medical advice. If a Participant becomes aware of any medical condition or impairment that will be detrimental to their health if he or she participates in the Race the Participant must withdraw from the Race.
20. If, during the Race, the Participant becomes ill or is injured, Public Transport Victoria will endeavour to arrange medical transport, usually in an ambulance. Any medical transport will be at the Participant's expense. Public Transport Victoria recommends that Participants hold current ambulance service membership and appropriate health insurance.
21. The Participant must at all times act in a safe and responsible manner during the Race and use common sense at all times.
Disqualification or removal
22. Public Transport Victoria may in its sole discretion, at any time, disqualify or remove a Participant from the Race. The exercise of such discretion is not reviewable.
23. Public Transport Victoria will use all reasonable endeavours to cater for disabilities where reasonably practicable.
Meal and dietary requirements
24. Where a dietary option is required, a detailed description of that option will need to be provided by the Participant. Every reasonable effort is made by Public Transport Victoria and the appointed caterers to ensure that recipes and ingredients are controlled.
25. Public Transport Victoria and the appointed caterers cannot however, guarantee that any meal or food item is exactly as described. Public Transport Victoria will not be responsible for contamination by allergens that is beyond Public Transport Victoria or the caterer's reasonable control.
26. It is solely the Participant's responsibility to, at all times, carry suitable food and medication which may be necessary to treat any particular medical condition that the Participant may suffer from.
Race Option Variation
27. Public Transport Victoria reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to:
(a) change or vary the route of any of the Allocated Heat options without notice;
(b) cancel, postpone, reschedule or change the time or place for the race or any of the Allocated Heat options for any reason and at any time prior to the commencement of the race; and Public Transport Victoria is not responsible for or liable to the Participant for any loss, damage, cost or expense, whether direct, indirect, consequential or otherwise and howsoever or wheresoever incurred by the Participant resulting from any such action taken by Public Transport Victoria.
28. The Participant, and the Participant's parent or legal guardian, acknowledges and agrees that the Participant may be photographed or filmed during the Race and consents to Public Transport Victoria using the Participant's picture and likeness contained in any photographs or film for publicising the Race and for promoting any future event to be conducted by Public Transport Victoria. The Participant is not entitled to any fee or remuneration should the Participant's picture be used in the manner contemplated in this clause.
29. Public Transport Victoria may collect, use or disclose Personal Information or Health Information about Participants, Teachers and other individuals involved with the Race if it is necessary for the provision of services connected with the Race, or to carry out Public Transport Victoria’s functions
30. Public Transport Victoria will only use or disclose Personal Information or Health Information for the purpose which was either specified or reasonably apparent at the time of collection unless the individual in question has consented to, or would reasonably expect that the information was put to another related use. Personal Information or Health Information will not otherwise be disclosed, unless such disclosure is required by law.
31. If you choose not to provide certain information (such as your name and address, or other contact details) when requested, some services may not be able to be provided to you.
32. You can contact the Public Transport Victoria Information Privacy Officer (contact details set out below) and request access to any Personal Information or Health Information that is held about you by Public Transport Victoria.
33. Public Transport Victoria will take reasonable steps to correct and update any Personal Information or Health Information that is established to be inaccurate, incomplete or not up to date or provide you with a written statement if such a request is refused.
Public Transport Victoria Information Privacy Officer
PO Box 4725
Melbourne VIC 3000
Telephone: 1800 800 007
Facsimile: 9027 4074